Membership of the BOU is open to anyone interested in ornithology.
Early-career researchers (ECR) are defined as up to three years post your last degree ^.
ECR member subscription rates
£20 / year – Direct Debit see here
£20 / year – Recurring annual credit/debit card payment see here
£25 / year – Single year credit credit/debit payment see here
ECR member benefits
- Access to IBIS online*
- IBIS online includes all issues back to 1859!
- Exclusive access to reduced rates to BOU conferences†
- Exclusive access to reduced rates to EOU conferences†
- Exclusive access to BOU Career Development Bursaries
- Access (with other BOU members) to BOU Small Ornithological Grant scheme
- Exclusive access to the BOU student community via our student reps
- Exclusive access to the BOU ECR Facebook community page
- Discount on selected Wiley books
Only ECR members will receive the above benefits, so if you want to attend a BOU conference at a discounted rate or apply for a Career Development Bursary, you must join here first (and be a member at the time of any applications – see other conditions marked † below about qualifying for conference places).
- ^ proof of status required before membership is activated
- *print subscription no longer available
- † Existing ECR members enjoy the cheapest rates for our conferences
IBIS – the international journal of avian science
IBIS publishes original papers, reviews and short communications reflecting the forefront of research activity in ornithological science, but with special emphasis on the conservation, ecology, ethology and systematics of birds. IBIS aims to publish as rapidly as is consistent with the requirements of peer-review and normal publishing constraints.
Over 150 years of ornithological publishing now online
IBIS has been published continuously since 1859 and all online content is available to members and institutes – thats over 150 years of ornithology at your fingertips!
Plus online supplementary material
One of the great benefits of online publication is that you can include all manner of supporting items that you can’t include in a paper journal – additional data and supporting research, video, sound files, etc.
Online subscribers are able to view a wide range of supplementary material hosted online for many IBIS papers. Over 50% of papers now carry supplementary material.
Other membership options
Includes online only access to IBIS and many benefits.
Resident of a developing country
Includes an online subscription to IBIS.